Saturday, August 2, 2008

I figured I'd do a quick update for those loyal readers out there. No pictures tonight, though, since I'm paying for the time and wanted to take care of some other things while I had computer access. And, while I'm thinking of it, no pictures of today, either. The Verginia museum is probably the coolest one in Greece, but they don't allow pictures. For those who didn't obsessively read the wikipedia links from my first post way back when, Vergina is the site of some royal Macedonian tombs, which they've actually built the museum around. There's lots of gold and ivory; very cool stuff. Alexander the Great's tomb was in Egpyt until it was lost in the middle ages, and despite claims that his dad's buried at Vergina, it's most likely just his brother, Philip III, and his son, Alexander IV, who were both killed off by the generals dividing up the Macedonian empire after Alexander died.

Tonight and the next two nights we're in Thessaloniki (named after one of Alexander's half-sisters, if I remember right), Greece's 2nd largest city. It's got a much different feel from Athens and is much more multicultural. Back before the Nazi occupation it was also one of the biggest centers of Jewry in Europe. Anyway, when we get back there's a day off, the final, and then I have another day off before leaving Athens on the 10th. It's not much longer now.

No comments: